September 8, 2015
This morning we had breakfast in the hotel lobby, and I must say it was really good. I love the chicken sausages that they have here in Malaysia, and I also enjoyed a fried egg on a piece of toast.
After breakfast we traveled to the Batu Caves, and we immediately fell in love with the place. The huge mountain rising above us, the monkeys walking around us, and the giant Buddha statue all combined to create a beautiful picturesque moment. Being a rock climber, I stood in awe at the cliff above us and wondered if anybody had ever attempted to climb the face of it.
The girls had to pay 4 Ringgit to borrow a cover up since they had shorts on, but luckily the guys were allowed to go up with shorts on. We climbed up the endless number of stairs, and finally reached the caves. As soon as we reached the top of the steps, our jaws dropped in awe of the beauty of it. The caves were very large, big enough to even have vendors with small carts on the side of the cave. Looking up you can see strangely shaped pieces of limestone protruding from the ceiling of the cave. Not only that, but there is a Hindu temple in the higher cave. It's crazy to see the things that people of other religions have build for their religion. Satchel and I joked about how SDA's need to step up their game on the churches that we build.
After the Batu caves and having lunch at a small restaurant at the bottom of the mountain, we headed over to the National Mosque. This was definitely the largest mosque I have ever seen in my life. Before walking in, we were all required to wear a purple garment that covered us from head to toe as a sign of respect. We didn't really get a tour of the place, so it was up to us to walk around and meet people and talk to them. There was a stand with several brochures on the different beliefs, so I grabbed a few to read at home. A few of us actually had an interesting conversation about certain Islam beliefs, specifically Jihad. She was very open to answering questions, and it was obvious that she was very well familiar with these brochures that we had been reading.
After the mosque, we headed over to a museum that focused on the history of Melaka, which is the city that we're taking our test in tomorrow. I took my time reading things in this museum, in case any of it my be on our final exam tomorrow. After the museum, Satchel and I got a bit lost walking home but were finally able to get to Chinatown after asking several people on the sidewalk. We did a little bit of last minute shopping in Chinatown and then spent the rest of the afternoon studying for our test. I finally finished studying and now I'm going to bed early so I can be well rested for our exam.











No comments:
Post a Comment